So, you’re curious about how long it takes to hike Roque Nublo on Gran Canaria? Trust me, I’ve wondered the same thing. This natural monument offers vistas that are nothing short of breathtaking – arguably some of the finest in all of Canary Islands.
After a heap of research and countless personal experiences, I’m armed with insights ready to ensure your journey is smooth sailing. Soon you’ll uncover not just the hiking duration but everything from directions, handy tips along the way and points of interest that will have you reaching for your camera! Are you buckled up for an extraordinary scenic adventure? It’s time to explore like never before!
Getting to Roque Nublo
To get to Roque Nublo on Gran Canaria, you can follow the directions from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria or start your hike from Santa Brígida. There are various transportation options available for reaching this stunning natural monument in the heart of the Canary Islands.
Directions from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
I am showing you how to go from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria to Roque Nublo. First, start your trip to Santa Brígida. This is the best way to reach Tejeda via Vega de San Mateo. The drive is about 90 minutes long. Once you are in Tejeda, look for signs towards Roque Nublo. Follow these signs and they will take you to a parking place near the hike start point. Get out of your car here and get ready for the walk! Remember, it only takes about 30-40 minutes to walk up to Roque Nublo. Enjoy your trip!
Route starting from Santa Brígida
I want to tell you about a fun route to Roque Nublo. It starts from Santa Brígida. Here is the list:
- Start your trip in Santa Brígida.
- You will drive to Tejeda via Vega de San Mateo.
- This drive takes about 90 minutes.
- Bring a camera or phone for pretty pictures.
- From Tejeda, it’s not far to Roque Nublo.
- The hike is 5 km long, but worth it!
- It takes around 30 – 40 minutes to walk up.
- You get to see amazing views at the top!
Going to Roque Nublo on Gran Canaria, you have two options:
- First, you can drive. Start from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, head towards Santa Brígida and then to Tejeda via Vega de San Mateo. This route is about 43 kilometers and takes 90 minutes.
- Second, you can hike. There are several hiking trails in Gran Canaria leading to Roque Nublo. The short trail is 1.5 km one way and takes an hour due to the uphill climb. The long trail is a scenic 5 km hike that offers views of great dams of Las Niñas, Chira, and Soria as well as towns of Artenara and Acusa.
Hiking to Roque Nublo
The hike to Roque Nublo covers a distance of approximately 3 miles and has a moderate difficulty level, with an estimated hiking time of about 2-3 hours.
Distance and difficulty level
The hiking route to the top of Roque Nublo on Gran Canaria is 1.5 km one way and 1.5 km return. It’s not too far, but there is an uphill climb on the way up that can be a bit challenging.
It takes about an hour in total to hike to the top of Roque Nublo because of this uphill section. However, the views from the summit are definitely worth it! So if you’re up for a short but slightly challenging hike, then Roque Nublo is perfect for you.
Recommended hiking time
The recommended hiking time to reach the top of Roque Nublo on Gran Canaria is about 30-40 minutes. It’s a relatively short hike, but there is an uphill climb on the way up. The trail itself is 1.5 kilometers long one way and 1.5 kilometers back, so it won’t take too long to complete.
Once you reach the summit, make sure to take out your camera or phone because the views from Roque Nublo are absolutely breathtaking!
The trail conditions at Roque Nublo are generally good, but there are some steep and rocky sections that can be a bit challenging. It’s important to wear sturdy hiking shoes or boots for better grip and stability.
The path is well-marked with signs along the way, so you won’t have trouble finding your way. However, during rainy weather, the trail can get muddy and slippery, so it’s best to check the weather forecast before heading out.
Overall, if you take your time and watch your step, you’ll have a great hiking experience at Roque Nublo.
Points of interest along the hike
Don’t forget to explore the charming town of Tejeda along the way. Read more to discover these hidden gems!
El planón del Nublo
El planón del Nublo is a plateau located near Roque Nublo, and it offers stunning panoramic views of the surrounding landscape. It is a popular spot for hikers to take a break and enjoy the breathtaking scenery.
The plateau itself is flat and spacious, providing plenty of space to relax and admire the beauty of Gran Canaria. Make sure to bring your camera or phone with you, as El planón del Nublo offers some of the best photo opportunities on the hike.
Pico de las Nieves
Pico de las Nieves is another point of interest along the hike to Roque Nublo on Gran Canaria. It is the highest peak on the island, reaching an elevation of 1,949 meters. From Pico de las Nieves, you can enjoy breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes, including the Caldera de Tejeda and Roque Bentayga.
The hike to Pico de las Nieves is a bit more challenging than the hike to Roque Nublo, but it’s definitely worth it for the incredible views. Remember to bring your camera or phone to capture these stunning sights!
Views of the Caldera de Tejeda and Roque Bentayga
I was amazed by the breathtaking views of the Caldera de Tejeda and Roque Bentayga during my hike to Roque Nublo. The rugged beauty of the landscape was truly impressive. From the summit, I could see the vast expanse of the Caldera de Tejeda, a volcanic crater that resembled a giant bowl carved out of the earth.
It was surrounded by towering rock formations, including Roque Bentayga, which stood majestically in the distance. The panoramic vistas were absolutely stunning and provided an incredible backdrop for memorable photos.
It’s definitely worth taking a moment to soak in this natural marvel while you’re hiking at Roque Nublo on Gran Canaria.
Tejeda is a charming town located on the island of Gran Canaria. It is situated along the driving route from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria to Roque Nublo. Tejeda offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape, including the Caldera de Tejeda and Roque Bentayga.
The town itself is known for its picturesque streets, traditional houses, and delicious local cuisine. If you have some extra time during your visit to Gran Canaria, I highly recommend exploring Tejeda and experiencing its unique beauty firsthand.
Tips for visiting Roque Nublo
When planning your visit to Roque Nublo, it’s important to consider the best time to hike, what essential items to bring, and any camping options available.
Best time to hike
The best time to hike Roque Nublo on Gran Canaria is in the morning or late afternoon. This way, you can avoid the hottest part of the day and enjoy cooler temperatures while hiking.
It’s also less crowded during these times, so you can have a more peaceful experience. Don’t forget to bring sunscreen and plenty of water with you, as it can get quite sunny and warm even outside of peak hours.
Lastly, remember to check the weather forecast before heading out to ensure a safe and enjoyable hike.
What to bring
When hiking to Roque Nublo, it’s important to be prepared. Here’s what you should bring:
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sunscreen and a hat to protect yourself from the sun
- Plenty of water to stay hydrated
- Snacks or a packed lunch for fuel during the hike
- A camera or phone to capture the beautiful views
- A light jacket or sweater in case it gets chilly
- Cash or a card for any entrance fees or purchases along the way
There are camping options available for those who want to stay near Roque Nublo. Here are some options to consider:
- El Garañón: This is a camping area located about 5 km from Roque Nublo. It offers basic facilities such as toilets and showers. Guests can enjoy the peaceful surroundings and beautiful views of the mountains.
- La Caldera de Tejeda: Another camping option is located in the Caldera de Tejeda, which is a volcanic crater near Roque Nublo. This camping area provides more amenities, including electricity and water hookups for RVs.
- Wild camping: For adventurous hikers, there are also opportunities for wild camping in the surrounding areas. However, it’s important to note that wild camping is only allowed in designated areas and with proper permits.
Roque Nublo hike experience
The hike to Roque Nublo offers breathtaking views and a sense of accomplishment when reaching the summit. Read on for my personal hiking experiences and popular photo spots along the way.
Explore the beauty of Gran Canaria!
Personal hiking experiences
I absolutely loved hiking to Roque Nublo on Gran Canaria! The trail was challenging but totally worth it. The uphill climb on the way up was a bit tiring, but the stunning views from the top made it all worthwhile.
I highly recommend taking a camera or phone with you to capture the breathtaking scenery. It took me about 30-40 minutes to walk up to Roque Nublo, and I enjoyed every moment of it.
The natural landscape and rock formations were truly impressive. If you’re visiting Gran Canaria, make sure to include this hike in your itinerary – you won’t be disappointed!
Popular photo spots
There are many great photo spots along the hike to Roque Nublo. Here are some popular ones:
- El planón del Nublo: This plateau offers a stunning view of the surrounding landscape and is a perfect spot to take panoramic photos.
- Pico de las Nieves: From this viewpoint, you can capture breathtaking vistas of the Caldera de Tejeda and Roque Bentayga.
- Views of the Caldera de Tejeda and Roque Bentayga: These natural formations provide a dramatic backdrop for your photos.
- Tejeda: As you approach the town of Tejeda, you’ll find picturesque streets and charming architecture that make for beautiful shots.
Recommended duration of the hike
To fully enjoy the hike to Roque Nublo on Gran Canaria, I recommend setting aside about 2-3 hours. This will give you enough time to reach the summit, take in the breathtaking views, and explore the surrounding area.
The hiking trail is not too long, with a distance of about 1.5 kilometers one way. It takes around 30-40 minutes to walk up to Roque Nublo from the parking place. Once you reach the top, make sure to spend some time admiring the stunning panoramic vistas and capturing memorable photos.
Remember to bring your camera or phone for this amazing experience!
Additional resources and recommendations
As a tourist, here are some additional resources and recommendations for your hike to Roque Nublo on Gran Canaria:
- Check the weather forecast before your hike to ensure it’s suitable for hiking.
- Wear comfortable and sturdy shoes or hiking boots.
- Dress in layers as the weather can change quickly in the mountains.
- Carry a bottle of water and snacks to stay hydrated and energized during your hike.
- Bring sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun.
- Consider hiring a local guide who can provide valuable insights about the area and ensure your safety.
- Take breaks if needed and listen to your body. Don’t push yourself too hard if you’re feeling tired or unwell.
- Respect the natural environment by not littering and leaving no trace behind.