Planning an unforgettable family trip to Gran Canaria can seem pretty daunting, right? With so much vibrancy and life on every corner of the island, it’s easy to get lost in a sea of options: where’s the best place to stay? Which attractions will keep the kiddos entertained? And which restaurants are going to satisfy those ever-fussy junior palates? Don’t worry – I’m here to unpick all this for you…
This guide takes all that guesswork off your plate by highlighting must-visit spots, top-class beaches for families, engaging activities for little ones and cozy accommodations. All this comes wrapped up with thorough research sprinkled with my own invaluable personal experience.
So take a breath and jump in – an unforgettable Gran Canaria adventure is waiting just around the corner for your family!
Top Family-Friendly Attractions in Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria offers a wide range of family-friendly attractions, including Aqualand Maspalomas, Angry Birds Activity Park Puerto Rico Gran Canaria, Roque Nublo, Parque Acuatico Oasis Lago Taurito, Palmitos Park, Museo & Parque Arqueologico Cueva Pintada, Museo Elder de la Ciencia y la Tecnologia, Sioux City Park, Gran Karting Club Gran Canaria and Casa de Colon.
Aqualand Maspalomas is where fun meets water. It’s the biggest water park in Gran Canaria. Kids love to slide down its fast slides and grown-ups can relax in big pools. There are even mini slides for little ones at a spot called Mini Park.
From wild waves in the wave pool to lazy floats on the Congo River, there’s something for everyone! Don’t miss out on the special chance to meet real sea lions there too!
Angry Birds Activity Park Puerto Rico Gran Canaria
Angry Birds Activity Park Puerto Rico Gran Canaria is a top spot for families. Kids love playing games here. This park has slides, race tracks, scooters and more! You can toss Angry Bird toys or ride piggy go-karts.
This park makes you feel like you are in the game!
The Activity Park is great for all ages. Toddlers, kids and even grown-ups will find it fun. It’s not just a place to play—it also helps your body grow strong! It is safe too with staff keeping an eye on things.
Make sure to put this park on your visit list when planning a family trip to Gran Canaria!
Roque Nublo is a must-see in Gran Canaria. It’s one of the biggest rocks in the world! Take a hike up to it with your family. The walk is not too hard and kids love it. You will get some amazing views at the top.
Make sure you bring your camera for some great shots!
Parque Acuatico Oasis Lago Taurito
One of the top family-friendly attractions in Gran Canaria is Parque Acuatico Oasis Lago Taurito. This water park offers a fun and thrilling experience for people of all ages. You can enjoy a variety of water slides, pools, and wave machines.
The park also has a lazy river where you can relax and float along with your family. For younger children, there is a dedicated kids’ area with smaller slides and shallow pools. Additionally, Parque Acuatico Oasis Lago Taurito offers sun loungers and shaded areas for families to relax and enjoy the day.
It’s a great place to have some splashing fun in Gran Canaria!
Palmitos Park is one of the top family-friendly attractions in Gran Canaria. You can explore beautiful botanical gardens with exotic plants and flowers, watch entertaining dolphin shows, and visit a large aviary with colorful birds.
There’s also a butterfly house where you can see different species up close. Kids will love the playgrounds and animal encounters, like feeding lorikeets or getting close to lemurs.
Palmitos Park offers a fun and educational experience for the whole family to enjoy while visiting Gran Canaria.
Museo & Parque Arqueologico Cueva Pintada
I enjoyed visiting the Museo & Parque Arqueologico Cueva Pintada in Gran Canaria. It is a museum and archaeological park that showcases the island’s rich history. The highlight of my visit was exploring the ancient caves, which are adorned with beautiful painted designs.
These paintings give us a glimpse into the lives of the island’s indigenous people, who lived here thousands of years ago.
The museum provides insightful information about the culture and traditions of these early inhabitants. I learned about their daily life, rituals, and beliefs through interactive exhibits and informative displays.
There are also guided tours available to learn even more about this fascinating site.
Overall, Museo & Parque Arqueologico Cueva Pintada is an excellent place for families to learn about Gran Canaria’s history in an engaging way. Kids will love exploring the caves and seeing ancient artwork up close.
Museo Elder de la Ciencia y la Tecnologia
One of the top family-friendly attractions in Gran Canaria is Museo Elder de la Ciencia y la Tecnologia. This museum is a great place for kids to learn about science and technology through interactive exhibits and hands-on activities.
They can explore different scientific concepts, experiment with various technologies, and even participate in workshops and demonstrations. The museum covers a wide range of topics, including astronomy, biology, physics, and robotics.
It’s an educational and fun experience that both children and adults will enjoy.
Sioux City Park
Sioux City Park is an exciting Wild West-themed park in Gran Canaria that is perfect for families. You can step back in time and experience the Old West with captivating live shows, thrilling horse rides, and even a gold mine where kids can search for treasure.
The park offers a fun and interactive experience for all ages, with cowboys, saloons, and Native American villages to explore. Don’t forget to catch the action-packed reenactments of famous shootouts! It’s an unforgettable adventure that will transport you to the Wild West right here on the island.
Gran Karting Club Gran Canaria
Gran Karting Club Gran Canaria is a great place for families who enjoy go-kart racing. It offers an exciting and safe environment where kids can have fun behind the wheel. This karting club has different tracks suitable for various age groups and skill levels, so everyone in the family can participate.
The staff at Gran Karting Club are friendly and experienced, ensuring that everyone follows safety rules and guidelines. It’s a thrilling activity that will definitely create lasting memories for the whole family when visiting Gran Canaria.
Casa de Colon
Casa de Colon is a museum in Gran Canaria that showcases the island’s connection to Christopher Columbus. It was once a historic house and now houses exhibits on Columbus and his voyages.
The museum has artifacts, maps, and models that tell the story of Columbus’s explorations. Inside Casa de Colon, you can learn about his preparations for the journey, see replicas of his ships, and discover more about life during that time period.
It’s an interesting place to visit if you want to learn about history and discover how Gran Canaria played a role in one of the most famous journeys in history.
Best Family Beaches in Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria offers some of the best family-friendly beaches in the world. From Playa de Maspalomas to Playa de Amadores, there is something for everyone. Read on to discover these beautiful sandy shores that are perfect for a day of fun in the sun!
Playa de Maspalomas
Playa de Maspalomas is one of the best family-friendly beaches in Gran Canaria. It has beautiful white sandy shores and clear turquoise waters that kids will love. The beach is quite spacious, so there’s plenty of room for families to relax, play games, or build sandcastles.
There are also sunbeds and parasols available for rent if you want some shade. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can even try out some water sports like paddleboarding or jet skiing.
Plus, Playa de Maspalomas is located right next to the famous Maspalomas Dunes, which are a must-visit attraction in Gran Canaria. So make sure to pack your sunscreen and beach toys when visiting Playa de Maspalomas!
Playa de Las Canteras
Playa de Las Canteras is one of the best family-friendly beaches in Gran Canaria. It has soft golden sand and calm waters, making it safe for kids to swim and play. The beach also offers plenty of amenities, including sun loungers, umbrellas, and showers.
There are several playgrounds along the promenade where children can have fun. Snorkeling is a popular activity here because the water is clear and there are many fish to see. You can also find beachfront cafes and restaurants where you can grab a bite to eat or enjoy a refreshing drink while taking in the beautiful views of the beach.
Playa de Amadores
Playa de Amadores is one of the best family beaches in Gran Canaria. It has soft, white sand and crystal-clear turquoise waters that are perfect for swimming and sunbathing. The beach is nestled in a bay, so it’s well-protected from strong winds and waves, making it safe for kids to play in the water.
There are also lifeguards on duty for added safety. Along the promenade, there are plenty of restaurants and cafes where you can grab a bite to eat or have a refreshing drink. Amenities like showers and toilets are available too, making it convenient for families with young children.
Plus, there are rental shops nearby where you can rent umbrellas and lounge chairs if needed. Playa de Amadores is definitely a must-visit beach if you’re looking for a relaxing day out with your family in Gran Canaria.
Playa de Mogan
Playa de Mogan is one of the best family-friendly beaches in Gran Canaria. It has calm waters and soft yellow sand, perfect for kids to play and swim. The beach offers sun loungers and umbrellas for rent, making it easy for families to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
There are also plenty of restaurants nearby where you can grab a bite to eat or have a refreshing drink. Playa de Mogan is known for its picturesque harbor, lined with colorful buildings and boats.
It’s a great spot to take family photos and explore the local shops.
Other Family Activities in Gran Canaria
Other family activities in Gran Canaria include visiting Cocodrilo Park, taking boat trips, trying indoor skydiving, exploring Poema del Mar, and going on one-day trips to other islands.
Cocodrilo Park is a must-visit attraction for families in Gran Canaria. It is home to over 500 crocodiles from all around the world, making it one of the largest crocodile parks in Europe.
As you explore the park, you can see these incredible creatures up close and learn about their behavior and habitats. There are also other animals to discover, such as monkeys, turtles, and birds.
Kids will love the interactive experiences available at Cocodrilo Park, like feeding sessions and animal shows. It’s a fun and educational experience that both kids and adults will enjoy!
When visiting Gran Canaria with your family, don’t miss out on the exciting boat trips available. Here are some options for you to consider:
- Catamaran Cruises: Enjoy a relaxing cruise along the coast of Gran Canaria on a spacious catamaran. Take in the beautiful views, spot dolphins and whales, and even go snorkeling or swimming.
- Glass Bottom Boat Tours: Explore the underwater world without getting wet! Hop on a glass-bottom boat tour and marvel at the colorful marine life beneath you as you glide across the crystal-clear waters.
- Fishing Trips: If your family enjoys fishing, book a fishing trip where you can try your hand at catching some local fish species. It’s a great way to bond with your loved ones while enjoying the peacefulness of the sea.
- Pirate Ship Adventures: Set sail on a pirate ship and embark on an exciting adventure filled with treasure hunts, water battles, and pirate-themed entertainment. Your little ones will love this immersive experience!
- Private Yacht Charters: For a more luxurious experience, consider renting a private yacht for your family. Cruise around the island in style, soak up the sun on deck, and enjoy personalized service tailored to your needs.
One of the exciting activities you can try with your family in Gran Canaria is indoor skydiving. It’s a thrilling experience where you get to feel the sensation of flying in a safe and controlled environment.
Indoor skydiving involves using a wind tunnel that generates enough vertical airspeed for you to float and perform various maneuvers. It’s suitable for kids and adults alike, and no previous experience is required.
Soar through the air like a bird and create unforgettable memories with your loved ones as you enjoy this unique adventure in Gran Canaria!
Poema del Mar
One of the must-visit attractions in Gran Canaria for families is Poema del Mar. It is a large aquarium that showcases a wide variety of marine life from all around the world. You can see colorful fish, sharks, turtles, and even penguins! The aquarium has different themed areas like the Deep Sea Zone, Coral Reef Zone, and Freshwater Zone.
It’s not just educational but also entertaining for kids as they can watch feeding sessions and interactive shows. Make sure to check the opening hours and ticket prices before planning your visit to Poema del Mar.
One-day trips to other islands
One of the great things about visiting Gran Canaria is that you can easily take day trips to other islands in the Canary Islands. Here are some options for one-day trips:
- Tenerife: Take a ferry or a short flight to Tenerife, the largest island in the Canary Islands. Visit Mount Teide, explore the charming towns of Puerto de la Cruz and Santa Cruz, and enjoy the beautiful beaches.
- Lanzarote: Another popular one-day trip from Gran Canaria is Lanzarote. Explore Timanfaya National Park, visit the Jameos del Agua cave, and enjoy the unique volcanic landscapes.
- Fuerteventura: Head to Fuerteventura for its stunning beaches and water sports activities. Spend a day sunbathing, surfing, or snorkeling in this beautiful island.
- La Palma: Known as “La Isla Bonita,” La Palma offers beautiful natural scenery with hiking trails, lush forests, and picturesque villages. Take a ferry or a short flight to explore this hidden gem.
- El Hierro: For those who love nature and tranquility, El Hierro is a great choice. This small island is known for its hiking trails, marine life, and ecological tourism.
Natural Attractions for Families
Explore the stunning landscapes of Gran Canaria with your family at the Reserva Natural Especial de Las Dunas de Maspalomas, where you can witness the unique sand dunes and diverse wildlife.
Reserva Natural Especial de Las Dunas de Maspalomas
The Reserva Natural Especial de Las Dunas de Maspalomas is a must-visit natural attraction in Gran Canaria for families. It is a special natural reserve that consists of sand dunes and unique flora and fauna.
You can explore the area by taking a walk along the designated trails or even try sandboarding on the dunes. The breathtaking views of the ocean from the top of the dunes are truly spectacular.
Make sure to bring sunscreen, water, and comfortable shoes for your visit to this beautiful natural wonder in Gran Canaria.
Rainbow Rocks in Veneguera
One natural attraction in Gran Canaria that families should visit is the Rainbow Rocks in Veneguera. These unique rock formations are known for their vibrant colors, which are caused by volcanic activity and mineral deposits over thousands of years.
The rocks create a beautiful rainbow-like effect, making it a great spot for family photos. Kids will enjoy exploring the area and marveling at the colorful rocks. It’s a must-visit place if you’re looking for something different and memorable during your family vacation in Gran Canaria.
Lomo de los Gatos archaeological site
At the Lomo de los Gatos archaeological site, families can explore ancient ruins and learn about Gran Canaria’s history. This important site offers a glimpse into the past with its preserved structures and artifacts.
Kids can see how people lived long ago and discover interesting facts about the island’s indigenous inhabitants. It’s a great educational experience for children to step back in time and imagine what life was like in Gran Canaria centuries ago.
The Ayagaures reservoir is a beautiful natural attraction in Gran Canaria that families can visit. Located in the Maspalomas area, it offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape and is a great spot for outdoor activities.
Families can go hiking or have a picnic by the reservoir while enjoying the peaceful atmosphere. It’s a perfect place to relax and connect with nature during your family vacation in Gran Canaria.
Additionally, the Ayagaures reservoir is home to various bird species, making it an ideal spot for birdwatching enthusiasts. You can bring along binoculars and see if you can spot any unique birds in their natural habitat.
Valley of a Thousand Palm Trees
The Valley of a Thousand Palm Trees is a beautiful natural attraction in Gran Canaria that families will enjoy. This valley is home to thousands of palm trees, creating a stunning and peaceful environment.
It’s a great place to take a leisurely walk or have a picnic surrounded by nature. Kids will love exploring the winding paths and spotting different types of plants and flowers along the way.
The Valley of a Thousand Palm Trees offers an opportunity for families to relax and connect with nature while enjoying the serene beauty of Gran Canaria.
Recommended Restaurants for Families
One thing I love about Gran Canaria is that it has so many family-friendly restaurants. When you’re on vacation with your kids, finding a place to eat can sometimes be a challenge.
But here in Gran Canaria, there are plenty of options that cater to families.
One popular restaurant for families is “La Casa Vieja” in Maspalomas. They have a menu specifically designed for children, with dishes like chicken nuggets and spaghetti bolognese.
Plus, they have high chairs available and a play area where kids can keep themselves entertained.
Another great option is “La Cucina Ristorante Pizzeria” in Puerto Rico. They serve delicious Italian food that both parents and kids will enjoy. Their pizza is especially tasty! And the best part? They have coloring books and crayons to keep the little ones busy while you wait for your meal.
If you’re looking for something more casual, head over to “The Boat House” in Playa del Ingles. This beachfront restaurant offers a relaxed atmosphere and serves kid-friendly meals like burgers and fish fingers.
After eating, you can take a walk along the beach or let the kids play in the sand.
Lastly, if your family loves seafood, check out “El Capitan Tapas & Seafood” in Puerto de Mogán. They have an extensive menu featuring fresh seafood dishes like grilled prawns and fried calamari.
The restaurant overlooks the marina, providing a beautiful view while you dine.
With these recommended restaurants in Gran Canaria, you don’t have to worry about finding places that welcome families with open arms. Enjoy delicious meals together as you explore all that this beautiful island has to offer!
Family-Friendly Accommodations in Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria offers a wide range of family-friendly accommodations for tourists visiting with their loved ones. From luxury resorts and beachfront hotels to cozy apartments and villas, there are plenty of options to suit different preferences and budgets.
Many hotels in Gran Canaria provide family rooms or interconnecting rooms, ensuring that families can stay together comfortably. Some hotels even have special amenities for children, such as kids’ clubs, playgrounds, and swimming pools with slides.
In addition to traditional accommodations, there are also unique options like cave houses and Canarian homes that offer a one-of-a-kind experience for families. When planning your trip to Gran Canaria, be sure to check out the official tourism website for information on the available accommodations and make reservations in advance to secure the best options for your family’s needs.
Transportation Tips for Families
- Gran Canaria has a reliable and extensive public transportation system, including buses and taxis.
- Buses are a convenient and affordable way to get around the island, with routes that cover most tourist destinations.
- The yellow bus tours in Gran Canaria are a popular option for families, as they provide a hop-on-hop-off service and allow you to explore at your own pace.
- Taxis are readily available in Gran Canaria, but they can be more expensive than taking the bus.
- Renting a car is also an option for families who prefer more flexibility and independence in their transportation. There are several car rental companies on the island.
- When renting a car, make sure to book child seats in advance if needed, as they may not always be available on short notice.
- If traveling with young children or babies, consider bringing a stroller or baby carrier for easier mobility around the island.
- Remember to check the local traffic rules and regulations before driving in Gran Canaria. Speed limits and parking restrictions may vary.
Source: The official Gran Canaria tourism website provides information on accommodation, climate, beaches, culture, and activities in the area.
Safety Tips for Families in Gran Canaria
I want to share some safety tips for families visiting Gran Canaria. Here are some important things to keep in mind:
- Stay hydrated and use sun protection: Gran Canaria has a warm and sunny climate, so it’s important to drink plenty of water and apply sunscreen regularly, especially on your kids.
- Be aware of the ocean: While the beaches in Gran Canaria are beautiful, the ocean can be unpredictable. Always swim in designated areas and pay attention to any warning flags or signs indicating dangerous conditions.
- Keep an eye on your belongings: Like any tourist destination, Gran Canaria can have instances of petty theft. Make sure to keep an eye on your belongings and avoid leaving valuables unattended.
- Stick together in crowded places: It’s easy for children to get separated from their parents in crowded places like markets or festivals. Hold hands or designate a meeting spot in case anyone gets separated.
- Follow traffic rules: If you’re renting a car or using public transportation, make sure to follow traffic rules and use appropriate car seats for young children.
- Be cautious with street vendors: While there are many legitimate street vendors in Gran Canaria, be cautious when purchasing from them, as some may sell counterfeit products or try to scam tourists.
- Use reputable tour operators: When booking tours or activities, choose reputable tour operators who prioritize safety and have good reviews from other families.
- Know emergency numbers: Familiarize yourself with emergency numbers in Gran Canaria and keep them handy in case you need immediate assistance.
- Respect local customs and laws: Finally, remember that you’re visiting another country with its own customs and laws. Be respectful of the local culture and follow any guidelines or regulations set by authorities.