Picture tranquil beaches next to vibrant plazas teeming with energetic bars and top-notch eateries – it’s an inviting mix hard to resist. In this blog post, I’ll whisk you off on an exciting virtual journey through Spain’s ninth-largest city – dishing out insider tips and recommending the must-do activities based on my own explorations and local gems shared by natives.
So buckle up for this exciting adventure through the charming streets of Las Palmas!
Reasons to Visit Las Palmas in Gran Canaria
Las Palmas in Gran Canaria is worth visiting because of its beautiful beaches, vibrant nightlife, charming neighborhoods, botanical gardens, and historic sites like Vegueta.
Las Palmas has a lot of beautiful beaches. My favorite is Playa Las Canteras. It’s one of the best in Gran Canaria! The sand is so soft and the water is clear and warm. You can sunbathe, swim or play games on the beach.
It’s fun for everyone, even kids! If you love surf, you will like it too because there are big waves to ride on here. So get your swimsuit ready for a great day at the beach in Las Palmas.
Las Palmas lights up as the sun goes down. The city comes alive at night with music, dance, and fun. Busy bars fill the plazas. People from all over the world come here to party. You won’t believe how lively this place can be!
You can find a lot of clubs in Las Palmas too. They play all kinds of music there, so you will surely find one that matches your taste! Enjoy live shows and concerts while sipping on local drinks.
If you love nightlife, then a visit to Las Palmas will make your holiday complete!
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria has pretty spots to see. The city is full of charming neighborhoods waiting for you to explore. In the north, there is Vegueta. This place is old and filled with history.
Here, you will find colorful homes and quiet streets lined with trees. You can walk on cobblestone paths while seeing the past in the local buildings.
The botanical gardens in Las Palmas are a must-visit for nature lovers. Located in the northern part of Gran Canaria, these gardens offer a peaceful escape from the bustling city. You can explore a variety of plant species from all over the world, including beautiful flowers, exotic trees, and aromatic herbs.
Take a leisurely stroll through the well-maintained pathways and admire the colorful blooms. It’s also a great place to learn about different ecosystems and conservation efforts. So, if you’re looking for some tranquility amidst your vacation in Las Palmas, don’t miss out on the botanical gardens.
Historic sites like Vegueta
Vegueta is a historic neighborhood in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria that is definitely worth visiting. It is the oldest part of the city and home to many historical sites, such as the Cathedral of Santa Ana and Casa de Colón (Columbus House).
You can explore narrow streets lined with beautiful old buildings and visit museums that showcase the city’s rich history. Vegueta also has charming squares where you can relax and enjoy the atmosphere.
So, if you’re interested in history and culture, make sure to include Vegueta on your itinerary when visiting Las Palmas.
Things to Do in Las Palmas
Explore the city’s urban village, stroll along the promenade, discover local markets, enjoy park life, and experience the local cuisine.
Explore the city’s urban village
Las Palmas in Gran Canaria has a vibrant and charming urban village that is worth exploring. The city’s old town, known as Vegueta, is filled with narrow streets lined with colorful houses and historic buildings.
You can stroll around the Plaza de Santa Ana and visit the impressive Cathedral of Santa Ana. Don’t forget to check out the Casa de Colón, a museum dedicated to Christopher Columbus.
As you wander through this neighborhood, you’ll find quaint shops, local cafes, and lively squares where you can sit back and soak up the atmosphere. It’s a great way to experience the authentic Spanish culture of Las Palmas.
Stroll along the promenade
I love taking a leisurely stroll along the promenade in Las Palmas. It’s such a beautiful and lively area with stunning views of the beach and ocean. The promenade is lined with palm trees, cafes, and shops, making it the perfect place to relax and enjoy the sunshine.
You can also find street performers and artists showcasing their talents along the way. Whether you want to go for a morning walk or catch a breathtaking sunset, strolling along the promenade is definitely a must-do when visiting Las Palmas.
Discover local markets
Las Palmas in Gran Canaria has vibrant local markets where you can experience the authentic Spanish culture. From fresh produce to unique souvenirs, these bustling markets offer a wide variety of items to explore and buy.
The marketplaces are filled with colorful stalls selling local fruits, vegetables, cheeses, spices, and more. You can also find handmade crafts and traditional products that make for perfect gifts or keepsakes.
Don’t miss the chance to immerse yourself in the lively atmosphere of the local markets while visiting Las Palmas!
Enjoy park life
Las Palmas in Gran Canaria offers a wonderful park life experience. One of the must-visit parks is Parque de Santa Catalina, located near the beach. It’s a great place to relax and enjoy the sunshine.
You can take a leisurely stroll through the park, admire the beautiful palm trees, and maybe even have a picnic with your family or friends. There are also cafes and restaurants where you can stop for a refreshing drink or delicious meal.
Another popular park is Parque Doramas, which has lush green spaces and stunning gardens. It’s perfect for nature lovers who want to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. So make sure to include some time in your itinerary to enjoy these serene parks during your visit to Las Palmas in Gran Canaria!
Experience the local cuisine
Las Palmas in Gran Canaria offers a wonderful culinary experience for visitors. The city is known for its delicious Spanish cuisine, with a variety of traditional dishes to try. Don’t miss out on trying the famous tapas, small plates of different foods that are perfect for sharing and tasting.
You can also indulge in fresh seafood, as Las Palmas is located right by the coast. Make sure to try some local specialties like papas arrugadas, which are wrinkled potatoes served with a tasty mojo sauce.
For dessert, don’t forget to sample the delicious Canary Islands’ banana or enjoy some homemade churros with hot chocolate. Whether you’re a foodie or just looking to try something new, Las Palmas has plenty of mouthwatering options to satisfy your taste buds.
Excursions and Day Trips from Las Palmas
Explore nearby towns like El Cotillo and Corralejo, known for their stunning beaches and water sports activities. Take a trip to Caldera de Bandama, a volcanic crater with breathtaking views, or indulge in a rum or wine tour to taste the local specialties.
Visit nearby towns like El Cotillo and Corralejo
If you’re visiting Las Palmas in Gran Canaria, make sure to take some time to explore the nearby towns. Here are a few suggestions:
- El Cotillo: This charming fishing village is known for its beautiful beaches and clear blue waters. Spend a day relaxing on the sand or try your hand at windsurfing or snorkeling.
- Corralejo: Located on the northern tip of Fuerteventura, Corralejo is a popular resort town with stunning beaches and great water sports opportunities. Take a ferry from Las Palmas and spend a day exploring this vibrant and lively destination.
- Agaete: A picturesque town nestled between mountains and the ocean, Agaete is famous for its natural pools and hot springs. Enjoy a refreshing swim in the unique saltwater pools or indulge in some relaxation at one of the local spas.
- Teror: Known for its traditional Canarian architecture and historic buildings, Teror offers a glimpse into the island’s rich history. Visit the Basilica de la Virgen del Pino, an important pilgrimage site, and explore the colorful streets lined with charming houses.
Explore natural attractions such as Caldera de Bandama
If you love nature, don’t miss out on Caldera de Bandama when you visit Las Palmas in Gran Canaria. Here are some things you can do there:
- Hike to the top of the volcano and enjoy panoramic views of the island.
- Visit the volcanic crater and learn about its formation.
- Take a walk around the lush vegetation surrounding Caldera de Bandama.
- Explore the nearby vineyards and taste delicious wines made from local grapes.
- Admire the unique geological features of this natural attraction.
Take a rum or wine tour
I love exploring the local flavors of a destination, and Las Palmas in Gran Canaria is no exception. Here are some great options for taking a rum or wine tour:
- Visit the Arehucas Rum Distillery: This historic distillery offers guided tours where you can learn about the rum-making process and sample different varieties of their famous rum.
- Discover the Wine Region: Gran Canaria has its own wine region, and you can take a tour to visit vineyards and wineries, tasting delicious local wines along the way.
- Try Local Spirits at Bars: Many bars in Las Palmas offer a wide selection of local spirits, including rum. Take your time to explore different bars and try out their unique offerings.
- Join Tasting Events: Keep an eye out for tasting events happening in the city, where you can sample various rums and wines from both Gran Canaria and other regions of Spain.
- Take a Cocktail Workshop: If you’re interested in learning how to make your own drinks, consider joining a cocktail workshop where you can learn from skilled mixologists.
Shopping and Markets in Las Palmas
Las Palmas offers a wide range of shopping experiences, from browsing local shops and boutiques to immersing yourself in the bustling markets that offer fresh produce and unique souvenirs.
Browse local shops and boutiques
As a tourist in Las Palmas, one activity you won’t want to miss is browsing the local shops and boutiques. The city offers a variety of options for shopping enthusiasts, from trendy fashion boutiques to traditional craft stores.
You can explore the bustling markets for fresh produce and souvenirs, or visit the charming streets filled with unique shops. Whether you’re looking for clothing, accessories, artwork, or delicious local products, Las Palmas has it all.
Take your time to wander through the different neighborhoods and discover hidden gems while supporting local businesses. It’s a great way to immerse yourself in the culture and find something special to remember your trip by.
Visit bustling markets for fresh produce and souvenirs
When visiting Las Palmas in Gran Canaria, don’t miss the chance to explore the bustling markets. Here are some markets you should check out:
- Mercado de Vegueta: This market is located in the historic neighborhood of Vegueta and offers a wide variety of fresh produce, from fruits and vegetables to meats and seafood. You can also find local products like cheese, honey, and olive oil.
- Mercado Central: Situated in the heart of Las Palmas, Mercado Central is a vibrant market where you can find everything from food items to clothing and accessories. It’s a great place to shop for souvenirs or try some traditional Canarian snacks.
- San Lorenzo Market: This market is known for its lively atmosphere and wide range of products. You can browse through stalls selling clothes, accessories, home goods, and more. Don’t forget to bargain for a good deal!
- Mercado del Puerto: Located near the port area, this market offers a unique shopping experience with its mix of crafts, artisanal products, and local delicacies. Enjoy the vibrant ambiance while exploring the different stalls.
Nightlife in Las Palmas
Las Palmas boasts a vibrant nightlife scene with numerous clubs and bars offering live music and entertainment.
Experience the city’s vibrant club and bar scene
Las Palmas in Gran Canaria is known for its vibrant club and bar scene. As the capital city of Gran Canaria, it offers a lively atmosphere that will surely get you in the party mood.
Whether you love dancing all night at energetic clubs or prefer relaxing with a drink at trendy bars, Las Palmas has something for everyone. You can explore the city’s bustling squares filled with busy bars and restaurants, where you can enjoy delicious cocktails and meet new people.
The nightlife in Las Palmas is one of its main attractions, attracting both locals and tourists alike. So, if you’re looking for a fun-filled evening out during your visit to Las Palmas, make sure to experience the city’s vibrant club and bar scene!
Enjoy live music and entertainment
Las Palmas in Gran Canaria is a great place to enjoy live music and entertainment. The city offers a vibrant nightlife with plenty of bars and clubs where you can dance the night away.
There are also many venues that host live music performances, showcasing local talent and international artists. Whether you’re into rock, jazz, or traditional Spanish music, you’ll find something to suit your tastes.
So get ready to have a great time and immerse yourself in the lively atmosphere of Las Palmas!
Transportation and Accessibility to Las Palmas
Getting to Las Palmas is easy, with various transportation options available including flights, ferries, and buses. Once you arrive, the city has a well-connected public transportation system that makes it convenient to explore all the attractions.
Plus, Las Palmas is accessible for travelers with disabilities, ensuring everyone can enjoy their visit to this beautiful destination.
How to get to Las Palmas
Getting to Las Palmas is easy. Here are some ways you can reach this beautiful city:
- Fly to Gran Canaria Airport and take a taxi or bus to Las Palmas.
- Take a ferry from mainland Spain, such as Cadiz or Huelva, to the port of Las Palmas.
- If you are already in the Canary Islands, you can take a ferry from another island to Las Palmas.
Public transportation options in the city
Las Palmas in Gran Canaria offers convenient public transportation options for tourists. Here are some ways to get around the city:
- Buses: The city has an extensive bus network, making it easy to travel to different neighborhoods and attractions. Buses are affordable and operate frequently.
- Taxis: Taxis are readily available in Las Palmas and can be hailed on the street or found at taxi ranks. They offer a convenient way to travel, especially if you have limited time or prefer a more personalized experience.
- Trams: Las Palmas has a tram system that connects the city center with suburbs like Puerto de la Luz and Guaiguayare. This is a great option for exploring areas outside of the city center.
- Car rentals: If you prefer to have more flexibility and independence, renting a car is a popular option. Many car rental companies have offices in Las Palmas, offering a range of vehicles to suit your needs.
- Walking: Las Palmas is a pedestrian-friendly city, with many attractions within walking distance of each other. Exploring on foot allows you to take in the charming streets and discover hidden gems along the way.
- Car rentals
Accessibility for travelers with disabilities
Las Palmas in Gran Canaria strives to provide accessibility for travelers with disabilities. The city has made efforts to ensure that attractions, public transportation, and accommodations cater to the needs of all visitors.
Many hotels offer accessible rooms and facilities, making it easier for travelers with disabilities to enjoy their stay. Public transportation options such as buses and trams are equipped with ramps and designated spaces for wheelchairs.
Additionally, popular tourist sites have implemented measures to accommodate those with mobility challenges. Las Palmas is committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can enjoy their visit without any limitations or barriers.
Hotels and Accommodation in Las Palmas
Las Palmas offers a wide range of hotels and accommodations, catering to all budgets and preferences. Whether you prefer a beachfront stay or a centrally located hotel in the city center, there are plenty of options to choose from.
From luxurious resorts to cozy guesthouses, Las Palmas has something for everyone. Read on to find out more about the best places to stay in Las Palmas!
Options for all budgets and preferences
Las Palmas in Gran Canaria offers a wide range of options for all budgets and preferences when it comes to hotels and accommodations. Whether you’re looking for luxury beachfront resorts, cozy guesthouses in the city center, or budget-friendly apartments, there is something for everyone.
Popular areas like Maspalomas, Meloneras, Puerto Rico, and Puerto del Mogan offer a variety of choices. You can find accommodation that suits your needs and make your stay in Las Palmas comfortable and enjoyable without breaking the bank.
Recommendations for beachfront stays and city center hotels
If you’re planning a trip to Las Palmas in Gran Canaria, here are some recommendations for where to stay:
- Beachfront stays:
- Beachfront hotels like Santa Catalina, Reina Isabel, and Exe Las Canteras offer stunning views of the ocean and easy access to Playa Las Canteras.
- Apartments or villas near the beach can also be a great option for families or groups.
- City center hotels:
- Hotel Parque is a popular choice located in the heart of the city, close to shopping areas and historic sites like Vegueta.
- NH Collection Las Palmas and AC Hotel Iberia Las Palmas are other centrally located options with modern amenities.
Safety and Security in Las Palmas
Las Palmas in Gran Canaria takes safety and security seriously, with a well-organized police force and tourist-friendly infrastructure. The city is generally safe for visitors, but it’s always important to take common precautions such as keeping an eye on your belongings and avoiding isolated areas at night.
Tips for staying safe during your visit
During your visit to Las Palmas in Gran Canaria, it’s important to prioritize your safety. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Stay alert and aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Avoid walking alone late at night, especially in unfamiliar or dimly lit areas.
- Keep valuable belongings like wallets, phones, and cameras secured and out of sight.
- Use well – lit and busy streets when walking around the city.
- Be cautious of pickpockets in crowded areas or tourist attractions.
- Follow any local rules and regulations, including traffic laws and beach safety guidelines.
- If you plan on swimming at the beach, be mindful of the ocean currents and adhere to lifeguard instructions.
- When using public transportation, keep an eye on your belongings and be aware of any suspicious activity.
- Familiarize yourself with emergency contacts such as local authorities or medical services.
- Trust your instincts – if a situation feels unsafe or uncomfortable, remove yourself from it.
Information on local laws and regulations
When visiting Las Palmas in Gran Canaria, it is important to be aware of the local laws and regulations. As a tourist, you are expected to respect the culture and traditions of the island.
One important law to remember is that public nudity is not allowed on beaches or public areas. It is also prohibited to consume alcohol in certain public spaces, such as parks and playgrounds.
To ensure your safety and security during your visit, it’s essential to take precautions like keeping an eye on your personal belongings and avoiding walking alone late at night in unfamiliar areas.
It’s also worth noting that smoking is banned in most indoor public places.
Knowing the emergency contacts when you’re in a foreign land is highly essential. In Las Palmas, there are specific numbers to call in case of different emergencies. Here’s a handy table for you:
|Emergency Service||Contact Number|
|Police||091 (National), 092 (Local)|
|Coast Guard||900 202 202|
|Tourist Information||928 219 600|
Remember, for any urgent concern, dial 112 which is the general emergency number in Spain. They can help coordinate the correct response team depending on your situation. This is a standard number across the European Union, including Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. Stay safe and enjoy your visit!